Divorce Lawyer in Charleston, SC
Divorces are life-changing events. Sanders Law Firm, LLC Divorce Lawyer in Charleston, SC will guide you every step of the way. Our strategy is determined by the facts of each case. Many times, agreements can be reached without the need for protracted litigation. Our objective is to achieve the best possible result as efficiently as possible.
- Alimony: Designed to place the supported spouse, as nearly as practical, in the position of support (s)he enjoyed during the marriage. Also, it may punish marital misconduct which leads to the breakup of a marriage. It may be awarded in periodic payments or in a lump sum. It may be temporary (rehabilitative) or permanent.
- Child Support: Paid by the non-custodial parent to the parent who has custody of the child(ren) as determined by the S.C. Child Support Guidelines. Can be modified based upon changed circumstances.
- Grounds for divorce (with fault): 1) Adultery; 2) Desertion for one year; 3) Physical Cruelty; and 4) Habitual Drunkenness (includes narcotics).
- No-fault divorce: Living separate and apart for one year without cohabitation. This is usually the most cost-effective way to proceed.
- Property Division: Generally, property accumulated during the marriage should be divided in a manner which fairly reflects each party's contribution to its acquisition, regardless of which party holds legal title.
Where to file the action:
- The county in which the parties last lived together as husband and wife;
- The county in which the Defendant resides; or
- The county in which the Plaintiff resides if Defendant is a non-resident or if the Defendant cannot be found.
Sanders Law Firm, LLC represents clients in the Charleston, South Carolina area, including Barnwell County, Beaufort County, Berkeley County, Charleston County, Clarendon County, Colleton County, Dorchester County and Georgetown County.